The “Discerning The Transmundane” quest requires me to “harvest” the following:
- Orc Blood
- Falmer Blood
- Dark Elf Blood
- Wood Elf Blood
- High Elf Blood
However I prefer to only kill in self-defence. Is it possible to complete this quest without killing in cold blood, and if so what is the easiest way of doing so?
It is entirely possible to complete it with a clear conscience, it’s just going to take much longer than normal. Most, if not all of the races needed will be in a position to attack you at some point in the game. Here’s a list of the races, and some possible examples:
- Orc Blood: During the daedric quest The Cursed Tribe
- Falmer Blood: Can easily be found inside Dwemer ruins
- Dark Elf Blood: Many vampires or magicians found in dungeons are dark elves.
- Wood Elf Blood: Wood elves are very common bandits, usually posted on guard towers. Also, the random thief encounter (the one who demands you give him money) is most often a wood elf.
- High Elf Blood: During the main quest Diplomatic Immunity you will fight Thalmor (High Elves) almost exclusively.
Hopefully this helps.