My friend just bought payday 2 yesterday, and he doesn’t want to download it because it will take a long time.
Let’s pretend that there are two subject here, A and B. Both have payday, but only B has downloaded it.
A takes the game data from
Steam/SteamApps/commonon B’s computer and copies it to the same location on his own. He doesn’t know about the appmanifest so he doesn’t copy it.
I asked him “Did you copy the appmanifest too?”. He said no,
so I uploaded my appmanifest (for Payday 2) so he can download it.
I told him to place it in the steamapps file and he did.
When he restarted steam, the game was still not installed. How can he install it?
I use a similar process to this when I switch computers (since re-downloading 100GB of games isn’t exactly optimal).
- Close steam on both computers
- Copy the gamedata folder from
Steam\steamapps\commonto the same folder on the other computer
- On the new computer, press download on the game. Make sure that the install location is set to where you copied the files.
- Soon, steam will recognize that the files are already there, and will only download the files which are missing.
- Right click the game and go to Properties > Local Files > Verify integrity of game cache.... This will make sure that the game has no missing or corrupted files.
- Enjoy playing your game!
For more info, see here.