I have a Rufflet (bad choice so far) who is level 50 and I really want it to evolve to Braviary, so I gave it an Exp. Share and am grinding on the Elite 4. I’ve spent all my money on various items and I don’t care about using Return on any of my Pokemon, so I have little to lose from fainting them repeatedly.
My main concern is that I might black out in the battle where Rufflet finally gains his 54th level. Would he still evolve to Braviary in this case?
After performing an experiment with a volunteer Pidgey, I can say: You will not get the chance to evolve Rufflet if you lose the battle.
- Level 14 Pidgey, Level 100 Bronzong, Level 100 Heatran.
- Lead with Pidgey vs. Level 71 Sharpedo.
- Swap in Bronzong and explode.
- Pidgey gains 17 levels.
- Swap in Heatran Explode.
- Swap in Pidgey and faint.
- Rapida blacked out!
- Wake up at the poke center.
No Pokemon were harmed in the making of this experiment.