Seriously, it was fun and all, but I can’t and I don’t want to stay married to the same woman for the rest of my life – one real life marriage is enough..
Is there a lawyer or process of some kind in the world of Skyrim, and if not, who could help me divorce her?
If all else should fail, (sigh), do I have to take her to the backyard, thwack her head with the shovel and dig a shallow grave?
Steps to re-marry / divorce using console commands (PC only):
- Select spouse.
- Enter the following console commands:
setstage 74793 10
- Wait for 24 hours.
- Then proceed to marry as normal.
Trying to breakup with partners is, for some reason, impossible without the console. Searching for help “breakup” 4 will bring up dialogue and quests that show reference to what must have been the original intention of breaking up with a spouse.
The relationshipbreakup quest can be used. Use the console to enter these commands:
(This is just formality to reset the “marriage” quest.) The above will prevent the player from having to kill his spouse, although they will comment on how much even the thought of him makes their blood boil. Untested, but possibly
setrelationshiprank player 4 can fix this
- The spouse must be killed
- The console command
Setstage RelationshipMarriage 10must then be used
- The console commands
resurrectshould next be used on the ex-spouse (and eventually the command
setrelationshiprank player 4on him/her to keep the relationship status obtained with the NPC related quests)
- The old Amulet of Mara doesn’t need to be dropped or sold.
- The Amulet of Mara necklace must be retained, or another one must be found.
- Any wanted items should be taken from the current spouse before starting this process.
- The following commands must be used, after targeting the spouse:
setstage 74793 10
- The old spouse will immediately exit the house and return to their regular location.
- 24 hours must be waited.