In many levels there appears to be an Altar to Kali. What purpose does it serve and how can I use it?
Damaging an altar (either with bombs or by enemies/traps while you’re in the level) will result in punishments:
- Damage an altar once and you will get a lot of spiders after you.
- Damage once twice and you’ll also get a ball a chain that you have to drag around the level.
- Damage one a third time and the level will also go dark and a ghost will be summoned. Unless you’re right next to an exit you are unlikely survive this.
Sacrifice items to an altar to get rewards:
- Drop a gold idol to get a golden monkey that runs around the level crapping gold. I think this might eventually net more gold than the idol would have given you, but it’s hard keeping the monkey alive.
- Drop a stunned (or dead) enemy to please Kali a little.
- Drop a stunned damsel to please Kali a lot – one damsel is enough for a random item reward.
Please Kali enough and you get the Kapala – a skull cup that gives you back health from bleeding enemies.