If you were to just ignore users, or quality, for example, will it cause problems beyond not having the hearts?
If you ignore a critical stat for too long, you get shut down. If you have a flag, you can use it to save yourself. From my tests on an abandoned Stack Exchange site:
- You can always ignore a critical stat three times.
- You can ignore a critical stat four times, unless something else would cause it to decay faster.
- A downvote causes Users decay.
- Low Questions causes Answers decay.
- High Traffic causes Quality decay.
- You can never ignore a critical stat five times in a row.
If you simply want to be safe, ignore three times. If you are attempting a perfect game, look for situations where you can ignore four times.