I rushed Magnetic Weapons research, and to my dismay found that I can’t actually build any magnetic weapons in engineering because I don’t have any alien alloys.
I know in the first game that shooting down UFOs was a good source of them, but near as I can tell I’m not doing any UFO blasting in this game. Not yet anyway.
Is there anything I can do to hunt down alloys (like choosing certain mission types), or am I just kind of screwed for rushing Magnetic Weapons too early?
There are five ways I know of to acquire Alien Alloys, ordered from most to least reliable:
- Cleaning rooms – The rooms on the lower levels of the Avenger will reward you with some units of alloy when cleaned out.
- Black market – The black market will often offer you alloys in exchange for intel.
- Map drops – From time to time “activities of interest” will appear on the global map which reward you some alloy when scanned for a few days.
- Mission Rewards – Sometimes you will receive missions to raid a supply convoy or a landed UFO. These will reward you with alloy.
- Hacking rewards – Sometimes you can get some alloy as a reward for successful hacking.